SWTOR Datacrons, Matrix Crystals & Relics Guide
This is one of those systems in Star Wars: The Old Republic that can be quite confusing for a lot of players. This article will attempt to explain what datacrons, matrix crystals, matrix shards and relics are, and hopefully help you use them as efficiently as possible.
Datacrons are basically a free way to gain additional character attributes in SWTOR, and everyone who wants to get the most out of their character will certainly be interested in it.
- Building Relics
- Crystal Color Combinations
- Disassembling Relics
- Matrix Amplifier, Matrix Emitter & Matrix Prism
- Datacron Locations
As you explore the worlds of Star Wars: The Old Republic you will discover Datacrons. These powerful items will give you an increase to your base stats when you loot them. In addition you will sometimes receive a Matrix Shard (Matrix Crystal), which you can use to construct a Relic (Matrix Cube). Your character has three relic shots, which you can use to customize your stats to suit your requirements.
The color crystals you use in constructing your relics will determine the stats of the finished relic. The Matrix shards come in the following colors:
- Red: Strength
- Blue: Willpower
- Yellow: Endurance
- Green: Aim/Cunning
As previously mentioned, your character has 3 slots for relics (some sources say 2, we’ll have to wait for the release to know for sure), and to create one relic you’ll need 3 matrix shards, which are obtained from certain datacrons. You can find out if you already obtained some shards by checking your inventory’s quest tab. In order to create a relic, you’ll need first obtain matrix shard, and then visit one of the following locations, depending on your faction choice:
- Republic: Assembly Room, Jedi Temple on Coruscant
- Empire: Ancient Assembly Chamber, near the Dark Temple on Dromund Kaas (-1785, 556)
Make sure the required items are in your inventory, and once you’re at the assembly altar you will need to set the 3 pillars with your choice of colors (look at which stats you want to gain above). It doesn’t matter in which order you put the colors/pillars. After you’re done, click on the matrix assembly altar in the middle of the room and confirm your choice. After the animation is complete, loot the glowing cube on the altar, and equip the matrix cube from your inventory (quest tab).
Crystal Color Combinations
The basic colors and their attributes are listed above, but here it is again: Red: Strength, Blue: Willpower, Yellow: Endurance, Green: Aim/Cunning. Apparently the results of combining shards are the same regardless of your class, but it does seem that using the same color multiple times yields a higher level Relic with better stats.
Below are some of the known combinations:
- RYR – 8 Strength, 30 Endurance, 11 Willpower, 14 Accuracy
- RRB - 25 Endurance, 10 Willpower, 10 Presence, 19 Force Power
- YYY – 18 Aim, 60 Endurance, 34 Cunning, 30 Absorption
- RYB – 6 Strength, 12 Endurance, 6 Willpower
- GBB – 9 Aim, 17 Endurance, 9 Cunning, 9 Accuracy
- YBB – 7 Strength, 20 Endurance, 5 Willpower, 10 Defense
- RBB – 17 Endurance, 7 Willpower, 7 Presence, 13 Critical
- RBG – 6 Aim, 6 Endurance, 12 Cunning
- GYY – 17 Endurance, 9 Cunning, 9 Presence, 9 Crit
- RYY – 7 Strength, 17 Endurance, 7 Willpower, 13 Accuracy
Fortunately, using crystals for creating relics is means they’re not permanently gone. You can bring along a Disassembler Core to the Assembly Room/Temple to break down an existing matrix cube back into shards, which can then again be used to assemble another cube, by using a different machine found in the same room. Note however that disassembler cores do in fact disappear after use. However, disassembler cores can be obtained from vendors on certain worlds making them easy to come by:
- Empire: Jawa in Mos Ila called Pitkth
- Republic: salvage yard right at the northern point of Anchorhead, just inside the walls (-822, 3564).
Matrix Amplifier, Matrix Emitter & Matrix Prism
Empire World Datacron Locations
- Loc: 128, 81 [+4 Endurance] – Near the shuttle that you leave the planet on.
- Loc: 529, 64 [+4 Willpower] – This is located on a plateau near the first shuttle your quests will take you.
- Loc: -42, 582 [Red Matrix Shard] – Located in the non-instanced group area inside the tomb of Tulak Hord
- Loc: -94, 859 [+4 Aim] – This is on an unaccessable hill side. You need to climb a nearby pipe to a higher vantage point and jump down to it.
- Loc: -10, 322 [Blue Matrix Shard] – This is inside the Sewer Maintenance Tunnels.
- Loc: 650, -107 [+4 Presence] – This is located on an island. Follow the pipeline that leads to the island and you’ll be able to get this one.
- Loc: 855, 643 [+4 Strength] – This is located in shuttle bay D-61 on the west wall on top of some boxes. You will need to jump onto a ventilation pipe from the walkway above to get to this.
- Loc: -795, 1451 [+4 Endurance] – There is a path that leads up behind Lord Grathan’s Estate.
- Loc: -189, 1737 [Yellow Matrix Shard] – This Datacron is located on top of a waterfall in The , Malignnt Bog. There is a path just to the south that leads up to the top of the waterfall.
- Loc: 581, 796 [+4 Presence] – Follow the road that heads Southwest from the starport to it’s end.
- Loc: -1219, 211 [+4 Cunning] – This Datacron is located on top of a rock. You will need to fall to it from a higher location. There is a path that you’ll need to jump to get onto that is located at approx -1090, 209 that will lead to a good vantage point to access this Datacron.
Republic World Datacron Locations
- Loc: -33, -101 [+4 Endurance] – This Datacron is in a cave in a mountainside. It is due East of the Forward Camp Speeder. There are two methods you may use to access this Datacron. I opted to scale the rockface and through trial and error got my footing and my datacron. There is another entrance to the cave located in Flesh Raider Territory at -28, 22 If you are in that area you simply need only kill a few level 6 mobs to access the Datacron.
- Loc: -93, 919 [Blue Matrix Shard] – South of the Forge Remnants there is a path (-195, 812) that leads to the area the Datacron is in. The Datacron is on a raised area (easy to get to) with a “strong” flesh raider worshipping it.
- Loc: -642, -70 [+4 Willpower] – From the Forward camp proceed to Ruins of Kaleth, up the stairs and to the first building on the right, climb the rubble on the left and then up the fallen tower up the hill pass the stump and the tree.
- Loc: 778, 134. [Red Matrix Shard] – This Datacron is Northeast of Falks Reach Speeder (North of Mannett Point) on the beach on the north side of the island. There is one level 8 Elite guard that will need to be killed.
- Loc: -657, -575 [+4 Aim] – This Datacron is located on Savrip Island which is almost due West of Oradam Village. When you arrive at the island you will notice a rocky hill, the Datacron is on top of that hill. You should be able to see it’s glow as soon as you enter the island. This is a group area consisting of various strong and elite level 8 mobs.
- Loc: -975, 203 [+4 Presence] – This Datacron is located west of the Volcano on the beach. Nothing special needs to be done to get to this datacron, you just have to run up the beach from the Volcano Camp.
- Locations on Coruscant have not been verified. Sorry, I don’t have a sufficiently high Republic character.
- Loc: -3625, 150 [+4 Endurance] – Datacron is in Black Sun territory near near the Sienna Sun Cantina exit. You need to jump up the crates by the digger. Once you’re up, you just walk across to it.
- Loc: 2320, 10551 [+4 Presence] – In the Old Market you will see two ships in circles on the deck. Go west and then up.
- Loc: 1020, -3969 [+4 Cunning] – Justicar Area
- Loc: -3087, 3031 [+4 Strength] – You will need to go to the second level in the lift. You will see a leaning pillar (around -3106, 2922) and a left round edge. Round the column and then drop down.
- Loc: 950, 4541 [Yellow Matrix Shard] – In the Works East of Map climb (Starting at 1177, 4419) following the pipes. This will be a fairly long run.
Neutral Planet Datacron Locations
Datacrons that are accessible to a specific faction (Imperial or Republic) will be notated with an [I] or [R] next to them.
- Loc: 1850, 111 [+4 Cunning] – [I] Located in the Balmorran Arms Factory
- Loc: -505, 1989 [Green Matrix Shard] – [I] This is located in the Neebray Wharehouse – Lower Level and requires 2 people to access it. The closest flight path is Troida.
- Loc: -781, 2067 [+10 Willpower] – [R] In Gorinth Canyon, Take the 3 bridges out of Gorinth Outpost then cross the pipe and drop down to this datacron.
- Loc: -211, -293 [+10 Cunning] – [R] In the Colicoid Queen’s nest near bugtown, enter the queen’s chamber and on the left hand wall is a maintenance tunnel leading to the datacron.
- Loc: -1019, 1514 [[I]+4 Aim/[R]+10 Aim] – This is located in the Okara Droid Factory, take the lift to the assembly line and look for a entrance below one of the production lines. The closest flight path is Markaran.
- Loc: 192, -343 [[I]+4 Willpower/[R]+10 Endurance] – This one is located near the bugtown flightpath. You need to purchase a Lost Code Cylinder from the vendor located at: 670, 38 to open the locked box this datacron is in.
- Loc: 727, 2033 [[I]+4 Strength/[R]+10 Presence] – Head south from the Sundari outpost, across the bridge then head south from the bridge, don’t walk along the cliff and if you see a white turret your heading in the right direction.
- Loc: 1943, 2481 [+6 Strength] – [I] Near the Network Access Taxi you will be able to look down and see what looks like a taxi below. You need to carefully fall to the platform that taxi is sitting on. That taxi will bring you to a Datacron. You can then use the communicator to return.
- Loc: 2930, 397 [+6 Presence] – [I] This datacron is on a raised platform in the Rebel Refugee Section in the Duros Sector. You are going to need some serious platforming skills to access this one. You start your platforming at 1616, -2676 (No that’s not a misprint). You want to jump on the boxes, hop on the beam, run to the catwalk, jump on a “canvas” to the next catwalk. You will see an elevator, take it to the Residential Catwalk. At this point you are above the datacron, look around, plan your moves and claim your prize. It should be noted that if you fail to hit the beams after you take the elevator, you will either die to the fall or the groups of four elite mobs; enjoy!
- Loc: -3700, -1692 [+6 Aim] – [I] This datacron is on a raised platform in the Corellian Sector. You will notice a floating Kiosk in this area, it makes a circle around this room (takes approx 10 minutes to complete a circle). You will need to jump onto the roof above the bench at -3785, -1681 (use the nearby crates and shelves to get there) and get your ride on the floating Kiosk at that location.
- Loc: 2192, 3068 [+6 Str] – [R] This is located in the Shadow town area, head up the ramp and across the bridge and jump across beams to reach the Datacron.
- Loc: -3364,-3312 [+6 Aim] – [R] In the Nikito sector, there is a Datacron on top of a poll. Look for a pile of boxes in the corner to climb your way up and across the wire to get to it.
- Loc: 3341, -3291 [+6 Precision] – [R] In the Red light sector, enter the group area located at 3462, -3521 turn right and right again till you hear the matrix cube sound then climb up to the elevator to get to the Datacron
- Loc:1931, 3314 [+6 Cunning] – Inside the Highsecurity lockdown area, look for a pile of creates, climb them to gain access to the incinerator room, while in this room you need to quickly run to the other side to access the console and input one of these commands ventilation 3918, hydro 3782, incinerator 3827 the door to the datacron will open pick it up but dont forget to search the game machine next to it to obtain the item to get the next datacron.
- Loc: 1702 3084 [Yellow Matrix Shard] – Inside the Network Security room just before the Transit Bridge there’s a pile of boxes climb up them to the next level to find a game machine with a datacron in it, use the item gained from the insinerator datacron to open it.
- Loc: -720, 3912 [+6 Cunning] – [I] This is on a rooftop in Mos Ila and will require jumping from rooftop to rooftop until you get to the right place. You can start your roof walking at: -1005, 3887.
- Loc: 959, -2885 [+6 Cunning] – [R] One in Anchorhead above the Underworld Trading trainer, you get to this by prince of persia styling from a wall in the north-west corner with sand built up to allow you to get onto the wall (You need to be outside the main city walls to locate this).
- Loc: 625, 202 [+6 Willpower] – You need to stand on the edge of the ledge (Location: 586, 294) and look down, you will see a protrusion in the rock face, there is a cave there. You need to carefully jump to that location across the rock face.
- Loc: -2071, 755 [+6 Aim] – This Datacron is located on the wing of the crashed ship. You will need to access this from the cliff face in the Crashed Transport Ship (Group Area).
- Loc: -3841, -600 [+6 Strength] – This Datacron is on the side of the sand crawler. You may access it by standing directly against the side of the sandcrawler.
- Loc: -3850, -600 [Blue Matrix Shard] – This Datacron is on the top of the sand crawler. You may only access it by taking a ride on the jawa balloon, look around coords -3158, 783 for a partially buried sand crawler, this is where you will get on the jawa baloon. Jump off the baloon when you’re over the sand crawler with the datacron. The balloon takes roughly an hour to circumvent Tatooine so do this when you have time.
- Loc: 2721, 2494 [+6 Endurance] – You will enter a cave at: 2374, 2450 and follow the tunnel that goes strait in. You will see a blast pack attached to the wall that can be used to blow away rock and claim your Datacron.
- Loc: 2191, -2018 [+10 Strength] – This Datacron is located on the face of the dam, on a small ledge. You need to go around the backside of the dam, and jump from 2240, -2026 using obstacles to break your fall halfway down. There is a “Magnetic Stabilizer” right above the platform, you can click on it from the nearby ledge and it pulls you over.
- Loc: 1105, 80 [+10 Aim] – This Datacron is located on an island that is only accessible via a very slow trolley, You may enter the trolley at: 1090, -7.
- Loc: -2507, -425 [+6 Willpower] – This Datacron is inside Castle Panteer on the Mezzanine floor. You will find a door that looks forced open, it leads to the grand staircase.
- Loc: -162, -336 [Unknown] – It’s halfway up the big rock holding up the centre of the bridge in Glarus Valley. There appears to be no access to this Datacron.
- Loc: -1513, -255 [+6 Endurance] – You are going to need to do some walking across a ledge (Ledge Entrance at: -1367, -208), then jump to what looks like a big broken pipe and make your way to this Datacron. At the time of this writing there is a graphical glitch that will cause the ledge to disappear from view, this only lasts for a few meters, so be careful. Nearest shuttle (for Imperials) is Crater Command Base.
- Loc: -643, 1606 [+10 Cunning] – You will enter the Abandoned Pirate Cave at -768, 1191 and take the elevator in the back of the room to the bottom floor (Republic Mine). When you arrive at the room with the Datacron you will notice a bulldozer in the room. You will need to jump onto the bulldozer and then jump box to box until you reach the Datacron. The closest flight path is Bomber Command Post. This one is frustrating, but at least you won’t die to fall damage!
- Loc: 1047, 454 [+10 Aim] – This Datacron is almost due east of 75th Legion Forward Camp on a beam that is raised off the ground. To access it you will need to jump up on the beam and walk to it. Again patience on your jumps will get you to your prize! Access to the beam can be had at: 941, 314.
- Loc: 1187,-574 [+10 Presence] – You will enter Transport Station 5 (Directly North of Border Assault Post) at 390, 3 at the first split in the road you will make a left turn and keep going until you arrive at the Datacron location. The Datacron is located on a raised platform, it is fairly obvious how you will access it.
- Loc: 442, -772 [+10 Willpower] – The last location is Northeast of Forward Post Alpha. You will be doing some beam walking starting at location: 359, -901. If you fall, you WILL die!
- Loc: Not Provided [+10 Willpower] – [R] This datacron is in the Abandoned Power Plant within Tulara Marsh up on a gantry inside the area. You need 2 people to get this datacron. In front of the datacron is a small lower area that you can get to by a slope. Just the the side of the slope is a box with 2 pipe ends in it. At the end of the slope on the same side is a box of machinery with an interactive switch. Now…..player (A) needs to stand over the pipe end that’s nearest the switch machinery but closer to the middle of the pipe ends box while facing AWAY from the machinery with the interactive switch. Player (B) then activates the switch and Player (A) will shoot up into the air and hopefully land on the pipes high up. You should have landed on the top of 2 thick pipes. Drop down onto the lower thick pipe and you should then see a thin pipe leading toward the datacron. From there it should be easy.
- Loc: 207, 769 [+10 Endurance] – Look for a swear pipe with bars and you should be able to see the datacron, there’s an entrace to the datacron from the north and south.
- Loc: 426, -130 [+10 Cunning] – This is northwest of the Republic Operational Headquarters. Fairly easy to find, go to the target area, you’ll see a hole in the fence.
- Loc: 558, 1422 [+10 Strength] – Near the three families war camp on a hill.
- Loc: -735, 1702 [Red Matrix Shard] – This Datacron is located in the Highmount Ridge area which is South of Leth Outpost. The Datacron is out in the open, nothing special needed to claim it.
- Loc: 3143, 471 [+10 Cunning] – This Datacron is located on the second floor of the Star of Coruscant. You will need to use the 3 moving boxes to navigate your way to the Datacron. Your starting point is 3248, 493. The entrance to the Star of Coruscant is on the bottom right of the starship graveyard.
- Loc: 1041, -1245 [+10 Presence] – This Datacron is almost a strait shot North of Frostwake Outpost near the top of the map. It appears to be on a hillside and unreachable however at 1145, -995 there is a ledge on the hillside that you can hop onto and ride it North. When the ledge ends you jump down (hug the wall) and follow the path through a cave and to your Datacron.
- Loc: 2837, -374 [+10 Endurance] – Jump up the ice from the start (2607, -844) until you are above what looks like an ice bridge, which you drop down onto. Then follow the routes jumping up the ice at the end to get to the right level and the Datacron should be at the end.
- Loc: -2354, -2319 [+10 Aim] – In the tomb area, look for a lava pit and travel across the hard to see laser bridge.
- Loc: -1906, -2562 [Green Matrix Shard] – In the tomb area, there should be a lift in a small cave that takes you down to a machine that requires a group of people that all contain a Rakata Energy Cubes to create a datacron. Known spawn points for Rakata Cubes are: (-2711, 888), (-2789, 956), (-606, 746), there are likely other spawn points as well. At present time, this Datacron is broken and does not give you the promised Matrix Shard.
- Loc: -2073, 377 [+10 Willpower] – In the Belsavis high security section you will find a pathway located at (-2399, 391) follow it to the Datacron.
- Loc: -3484, -867 [+10 Presence] – Your start point for this is a pair of rocks (-3705, -562). You will notice a tunnel between the rocks, follow it and walk along the ledge to the right to the datacron. This is located in the Belsalvis Maximum Security Section almost directly to the east of the Maximum Security Thoroughfare.
- Loc: -2562,-839 [+10 endurance] – This Datacron is located in a cave in the Northern section of the High Security Area. Starting point is -2475,-775 there a large group of rocks there go around and climb on the rocks and you’ll see a large gap between the rocks and the wall go down this gap and you’ll see a cave entrance the datacron is inside the cave.
- Loc: -29, 371 [+10 Willpower] – This one is fairly strait forward to get to. At location -442, 402 you will see a grassy path, which you will follow to a rock formation (-432, 179) forming “steps” you will jump from one step to another. At the top of the steps there is a cave, you will follow the cave to your prize. Near the Fort Kodentha flight path.
- Loc: 2000, -940 [+10 Presence] – In the Northeast corner of the nightmare lands you will find a small island with three Voss Mystics meditating. You will click on a mediation tablet that will put you in a dream state. You need only click the Datacron at this point.
Corellia & Ilum:
- No datacrons have yet been discovered on Corellia or Ilum. If you find one please let me know.